Identifying hazards in the workplace is no easy task, but knowing the top risks can help in your efforts to keep workers safe. For now the fourth straight year each of the top five violations have remained unchanged.
1. Fall Protection – General Requirements: 7,270 violations
Duty to have fall protection
2. Hazard Communication: 4,552 violations
Information concerning classified hazards is transmitted to employers and employees
3. Scaffolding: 3,336 violations
General requirements for scaffold and scaffold components
4. Respiratory Protection: 3,118 violations
To prevent atmospheric contamination
5. Lockout/Tagout: 2,944 violations
Establishes minimum performance requirements for the control of hazardous energy
6. Ladders: 2,812 violations
Requirements for all ladders including job-made ladders.
7. Powered Industrial Trucks: 2,294 violations
Requirements relating to fork trucks, tractors, platform lift trucks, motorized hand trucks, and other specialized industrial trucks powered by electric motors or internal combustion engines.
8. Fall Protection – Training Requirements: 1,982 violations
Training requirements for employees who might be exposed to fall hazards
9. Machine Guarding: 1,972 violations
General requirements for machine guards
10. Eye & Face Protection: 1,536 violations
Requirements for appropriate eye or face protection when exposed to eye or face hazards
To learn more on how you can make your workplace a safe and healthy environment, visit OSHA’s website, www.osha.gov